|Type of record:||Find Spot|
|Name:||Prehistoric flints, medieval pottery sherds and seal matrix|
Fenland fieldwalking in 1988 recovered a few prehistoric flints and medieval pottery sherds from the field surface here. Subsequent metal detecting in 1993 retrieved a superb 14th century seal matrix depicting the Archangel Gabriel and Mary facing each other.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TL 62 95|
|Parish:||SOUTHERY, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
20 February 1988. Fenland fieldwalking, good conditions, weathered and rolled soil, young cereal.
Few flints and couple of medieval sherds, no concentrations. Site SRY AN.
Finds held by NCM.
R. Silvester (NAU) 19 February 1988.
One flint is a gunflint. F. Healy (NAU).
May 1993. Metal detector find.
Lovely 14th century seal matrix, circular with moulded collar on handle, and pierced suspension loop AVE MIARA [sic]. Archangel Gabriel and Mary facing each other with a stylised lily-pot.
Identified by S. Margeson (NCM).
A. Rogerson (NLA) 28 June 1993.
For full details of wares, flint types etc. see Fenland Folders.
- FINDSPOT (Prehistoric - 1000000 BC to 42 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Lower Palaeolithic to Late Iron Age - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- SEAL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- GUNFLINT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||*Fieldwork: Fenland Survey. SRY AN. FENS. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
Related records - none
Find out more...