|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||St Peter's (West Head) Church, Stow Bardolph|
St Peter's Church, sometimes known as West Head church, is a small mission church built around 1908 to the designs of E. Douglas Hoyland of London, in terracotta blocks supplied by the Bristol Fireclay Company. It was built for the Revd. J Percy de Putron as a 'New Mission Church' in the western part of the parish to serve the growing rural population. It is thought that the Church Army were involved in stirring interest, but little is known about the origins of the church. There is also little recorded about Revd De Putron, save that he trained at University College Durham and was ordained in 1892.
The use of terracotta blocks, rather than the usual flint, carrstone or brick, makes St Peter's church unique in Norfolk. This is particularly true as the blocks are themselves partly bespoke, varying in shape and size according to their function. The lower courses have a brown glaze, and above this the bricks are of varying yellow colours. Those that form the windows and door dressings, or the battlements of the tower, were specially made from moulded blocks. The bricks fit together by engaging the lug on one brick to the recesses moulded into the next.
The interior is unusual in that the timber-frame, around which the terracotta walls were built, is exposed in its entirety. It is this frame that takes the majority of the weight of the roof, not the terracotta walls. The church contains a Norman font removed from Stow Bardolph church of the Holy Trinity (NHER 2433) in the 19th century and found in use as a flowerpot. The communion table was used by the Rev J Adams in the second Afghan War, (1878 to 1880), the first chaplain to be awarded the Victoria Cross.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 5919 0632|
|Parish:||STOW BARDOLPH, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
The church contains the Norman font from Stow Bardolph church found in the rectory garden after it was thrown out during a 19th century reordering. Also the wartime (World War One) communion table of Rev. J. Adams, first chaplain to hold the Victoria Cross.
E. Rose, 27 July 2000.
According to (S1), the church was built around 1905 as a chapel-of-ease and is formed of terracotta blocks, with the door, window and quoin details made specially, produced by the Bristol Fireclay Company, which ceased production in 1911, and are thus very rare.
E. Rose (NLA), 4 January 2005.
The date is 1908 and the architect E. Hoyland.
See (S2) and (S3).
E. Rose (NLA), 12 February 2005.
Listed 2006. Listing gives detailed description adding that the church is basically timber framed with the terracotta inserted around this; and that the table was used in the Second Afghan War 1878-80 not the Great War.
E. Rose (NLA), 24 February 2006.
- CHURCH (Early 20th Century to 21st Century - 1901 AD to 2100 AD)
- TIMBER FRAMED BUILDING (Early 20th Century to 21st Century - 1901 AD to 2100 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1391486. |
|---||Photograph: KWQ 18-22. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Article in Serial: Allen, J.. 2005. St Peter's Chapel, Stow Bardolph.. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLIV. p 715ff. |
|---||Article in Serial: Allen, J. R. L. 2005. St. Peter's Chapel, Stow Bardolph: Bristol Terracotta in South-West Norfolk. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLIV Pt IV pp 715-723. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Lynn News. 1999. [Article on St Peter's Church, Stow Bardolph]. 13 July. |
|---||Collection: Norfolk Historic Environment Record Staff. 1975-. HER Record Notes. Norfolk Historic Environment Service. |
|---||Designation: Historic England. 2007?-presen. National Heritage List for England Advice Report. Advice Report. DNF11465. |
|---||Designation: Norfolk Historic Enviroment Service. 1975-?. Norfolk Historic Environment Service Recommendation for Listing. Recommendation. DNF11465. |
|---||Designation: English Heritage. 1990-2013. English Heritage Listing Notification. Notification. DNF11465. |
|<S1>||*Verbal Communication: 2004. Prof. C. Allen, Reading. December. |
|<S2>||Monograph: Allen, J.R.L.. 2004. Carrstone in Norfolk buildings: distribution, use, associates and influences.. British Archaeological Reports. Vol 371. p 42. |
|<S3>||Unpublished Document: Rose, E. (NLA). 2005. Building Report.. Building Report. |
|<S4>||Correspondence: English Heritage. 2006. Letters from English Heritage regarding listing of NHER 2393. April. |
Related records - none
Find out more...