Record Details

NHER Number:2391
Type of record:Building
Name:St James' Church, Marshland St James


A red and yellow brick mission church of 1896 to 1897, which replaced a corrugated iron church of 1883. The building is in the form of a plain rectangle with an apsed chancel. Inside, the furnishings are mainly of the 1890s, except a 17th century continental painted statue of St James. There are various paintings in the apse by Lilian Dagless of Walsingham.


  • St Jame's Church, Marshland St James. The church was built in 1896 to 1897 and was converted into a house in 2002. Photograph from  © S. Knott


Grid Reference:TF 5420 0858
Map Sheet:TF50NW

Full description

Iron, built 1883. According to (S1) this stands 'on or near' the site of the old St. James's Chapel, washed away in floods.
However, Dugdale's map of Marshland (S2) seems to place this instead at site NHER 17028.
E. Rose and A. Rogerson (NAU), 16 February 1981.

However, both may be incorrect; see NHER 17028. E. Rose (NAU).

The iron church was in fact replaced by a brick building in 1896, extended in 1915 and 1933.
The furnishings in 1994 are all of the 1890s and later except for a statue, possibly foreign, 17th century.
See redundancy report (S3) in file.
E. Rose (NLA), 10 October 1994.

Monument Types

  • CHAPEL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • CHURCH (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 535.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Map: Bryant, A.. 1826. Bryant's Map of Norfolk.
<S2>Map: Dugdale. 1662. Map of the Fens.
<S3>Unpublished Document: Council for the Care of Churches. 1994. Marshland, St James, Norfolk (Ely)..

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2023 Norfolk Historic Environment Service