Record Details

NHER Number:23882
Type of record:Building
Name:The Hollies, London Street


The Hollies was originally built as a single house around 1760 to 1770, although it has since been split into a number of flats. The building is built entirely of brick in header bond, and is thought to have a 1920s staircase inside.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TF 8205 0856
Map Sheet:TF80NW

Full description

18th century red brick and pantiles. Brick eaves cornice, 1st floor band. Pediment with round window to slightly advanced centre. Wing each side of five and four bay windows respectively. Many blank recesses in lieu of windows. Sash windows on two storeys and attics. Much renovated. Former kitchen now office 'said to' have 16th or early 17th century moulded beamed ceiling.
Front garden wall, 18th century, of red brick 12 feet high; on south 14 feet high including heightening above sloping cope. English bond; flint base.
Information from (S1).
House noted in passing July 1987 by E. Rose; is garden wall all still there?
E. Rose (NAU), 3 August 1987.

November 1988.
Garden wall noted in passing.
E. Rose (NAU), 13 December 1988

1996 revised listing dates house and wall to 1760-70. All brick is header bond. Interior, now divided into flats, noted as having 1920s staircase but no mention of the older plaster ceiling.
Compiled by E. Rose (NLA), 12 March 1999.

Monument Types

  • GARDEN WALL (18th Century to 21st Century - 1760 AD? to 2100 AD)
  • HOUSE (18th Century to 21st Century - 1760 AD? to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 684.
<S1>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entries 1269648 and 1269649.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2023 Norfolk Historic Environment Service