Record Details

NHER Number:23826
Type of record:Find Spot
Name:?Palaeolithic flint blade, Roman coins and post-medieval and undatable copper alloy objects


Metal-detecting in 1987 recovered a ?Palaeolithic flint blade, Roman coins, a post-medieval buckle and copper alloy objects of unknown date.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 14 05
Map Sheet:TG10NW

Full description

2 April 1987. Metal-detecting.
Found by [1], north-west of Cedar Grange, west of road:
1 ?Palaeolithic thick flint blade with much recent damage.
3 Roman coins (Magnentius/Decentius AD 350 to 353 (2 coins); Gratian; GLORIA NOVI SAECVLI AD 367 to 75; 4th century illegible).
1 undatable copper alloy clip/ring, 1 copper alloy half round object (possibly harness ring fragment) and 1 copper alloy waste fragment.
1 early post-medieval copper alloy buckle.
Flint identified by J. Wymer (NAU) and other objects by A. Gregory (NAU). Compiled by W. Milligan (NCM) 29 May 1987.
Information from (S1).
These discoveries were reported in (S2). The potentially Palaeolithic blade is also noted on (S3).
Amended by P. Watkins (HES), 13 March 2014.

Monument Types

  • FINDSPOT (Undated)
  • FINDSPOT (Palaeolithic - 1000000 BC? to 10001 BC?)
  • FINDSPOT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • FINDSPOT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • HARNESS? (Unknown date)
  • METAL WORKING DEBRIS (Unknown date)
  • RING (Unknown date)
  • BLADE (Lower Palaeolithic to Middle Palaeolithic - 500000 BC? to 40001 BC?)
  • COIN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • BUCKLE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

<S1>Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
<S2>Article in Serial: 1988. Archaeological Discoveries for 1987. CBA Group VI Bulletin. No 33 pp 30-56. p 46.
<S3>Record Card: Wymer, J. J. Wymer Index Card - Palaeolithic. Hethersett.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service