Record Details

NHER Number:23312
Type of record:Monument
Name:Site of Whiscard's Mill (post 1841)


According to a tithe map of 1841 a windmill once stood at this location. This mill was later known as Whiscards Mill that was blown over in 1860 and sold in 1866 with the ‘former miller’ mentioned 1872. Some of the references to this mill may actually refer to NHER 5787, the possible site of Whiscard's Mill prior to 1841.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TF 8595 3560
Map Sheet:TF83NE

Full description

Site of windmill. Marked on tithe map 1841 according to H. Apling. This is therefore certainly the site of Whiscards Mill after that date; blown over in 1860 and sold 1866, 'former miller' mentioned 1872. Earlier records may refer to this site or perhaps NHER 5787, but not NHER 23274 as previously suggested.
See detailed records filed under NHER 5787.
E. Rose (NAU) 11 February 1987.

Some of the references may also refer to NHER 31908.

Source adds that the track past this site was known in 15th century as Milnestyegate (Mill Footpath Road).
E. Rose (NLA) 25 July 1996.

Monument Types

  • WINDMILL (19th Century - 1841 AD to 1866 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.

Related records

23274Parent of: Possible site of post medieval windmill (Monument)
5787Parent of: Site of Whiscard's Mill (pre 1841) (Monument)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service