|Type of record:||Monument|
An artificial watercourse built by Vermuyden in 1653 from Salter's Lode to Stowbridge to relieve pressure on the River Great Ouse. In 1987 the northeast end had become dry, the drainage having been diverted.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 5783 0341|
|Parish:||NORDELPH, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
|STOW BARDOLPH, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Built by Vermuyden in 1653 from Salter's Lode to Stowbridge to relieve pressure on the Great Ouse. Its northeast end is now dry, the drainage having been diverted.
E. Rose (NAU) 28 January 1987.
- WATERCOURSE (1653, Post Medieval to Late 20th Century - 1540 AD to 1987 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Monograph: Darby, H.C.. 1983. The Changing Fenland.. pp 75-6. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
Related records - none
Find out more...