Record Details

NHER Number:2250
Type of record:Building
Name:Fitton Oake (previously known as Fritton Hall), Fritton Road


This brick house was built in 1577, and is cruciform plan with a porch-tower and two polygonal angle-turrets. It is known that the site of Fritton Oak, which was a Hundred court for some time, stood nearby. It is also recorded that a chapel dedicated to St James was situated here in the early 14th century.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TF 5943 1349
Map Sheet:TF51SE

Full description

(Known as Fitton Hall before building of that name was erected).
Brick, dated 1577. Cruciform with porch-tower, and opposite to this on other side of house two polygonal angle-turrets flush on house wall. These occur also on corners of wing on same side, but nowhere else. One group of three polygonal chimneys; one chimney demolished. Large fireplace and oven retains portion of stone surround. Brick hoodmoulds, some stone mullions. One original upper floor; another room has charcoal or lampblack geometric decorations. Modern roof.
Under restoration of unknown quality.
NARG survey 1977.
Near here stood the Fitton Oak, hundred court for a time.
E. Rose (NAU).

1984. Listing (S1), notes house called Fitton Oake now 'Interior of no interest except for hollow moulded beam in lounge inscribed T 1570 W'.
E. Rose (NAU).

A chapel of St James is recorded here in the early 14th century according to (S2).
E. Rose (NAU), 10 July 1989.

Photos in file.

Monument Types

  • NAMED TREE (Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1539 AD?)
  • CHAPEL (13th Century to 14th Century - 1300 AD? to 1399 AD?)
  • GREAT HOUSE (16th Century to 21st Century - 1577 AD to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds

  • WALL PAINTING (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TF 51 SE 2 [4].
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 778.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Post-Medieval. Wells Next The Sea.
<S1>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1077894.
<S2>Monograph: Silvester, R. J. 1988. The Fenland Project Number 3: Marshland and Nar Valley, Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology. No 45. p 1.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service