Record Details

NHER Number:22425
Type of record:Building
Name:Elm Cottage, Hilborough


An early 17th century timber framed cottage, with a brick 19th century extension. The east façade has a 19th century circular window, a typical feature of Hilborough Estate cottages.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TF 8275 0049
Map Sheet:TF80SW

Full description

Marked by Ordnance Survey as north of Swaffham Road but draft list places to south of road; to be checked on ground.
GRID REFERENCE CORRECTED, Ordnance Survey marking is wrong (unless name changed).
Elm Cottage in 1986 is on south side road; building marked by Ordnance Survey is now The Nunnery.
Information from S. Heywood (NCC).
E. Rose (NAU) 18 April 1986

Ordnance Survey since corrected.

October 1985. Listed, Grade II.
Early 17th century and later.
Timber frame with brick and flint north gable end. Brick addition and part refacing. Early building forms L-plan with 19th century brick addition on west and 20th century addition on east, 1 storey, and attic on old part. North gable end
about 1700 with diaper pattern in brick, and tumbling. South facade with 19th century windows and eyebrow dormers. East facade has single circular window to upper floor, a feature of Hilborough Estate cottages. Interior; one pair jointed crucks to roof with elbowed uprights. One room with single rolls to common joists.
Information from (S1).
E. Rose (NAU) 4 April 1986.

Monument Types

  • ESTATE COTTAGE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • TIMBER FRAMED HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 401.
<S1>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1077284.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service