Record Details

NHER Number:2240
Type of record:Building
Name:St Mary's Church, Islington


St Mary's Church lies redundant and is largely ruined. A renovation in 1972 tidied up the space, and as a result the walls of all the main structures survive to this day. The church was originally cruciform in shape, the largest part of the building now remaining is the west tower which stands intact. The 13th century nave is now roofless, and the chancel is bricked off. The church is in the hands of the Churches Conservation Trust.


  • The interior of St Mary's Church, Islington in Tilney St Lawrence parish.  © Norfolk Museums & Archaeology Service


Grid Reference:TF 5707 1687
Map Sheet:TF51NE

Full description

Half ruined, tidied 1972. T. Martin around 1740 gives a very odd section drawing - looking as if it had both a west and a central tower.
Compiled by E. Rose (NAU).

Listed grade II*.
Compiled by E. Rose (NAU), 20 May 1986.

Press cutting (S1) in file.
Appropriate section from (S2) in file.

22 July 1993. NLA aerial photography.
Church visible.
M. Brennand (NLA), 7 February 2001.

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Medieval to 19th Century - 1066 AD? to 1900 AD?)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TF5716 A-P,Q-S.
---Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1993. TF 5716V - Y, AB, AC.
---Monograph: Bryant, T. H. 1902. Hundred of Freebridge Marshland. The Churches of Norfolk. Vol X. pp 19-25.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 449.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Newspaper Article: Lynn News. 1993. [Photograph of St Mary's Church, Islington]. 23 April.
<S2>Monograph: Batcock, N. 1991. The Ruined and Disused Churches of Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology. No 51. Microfiche 5:G12. No 47; p 51.

Related records

MNO6817Related to: Church of St. Mary Islington TILNEY ST LAWRENCE (Revoked)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2023 Norfolk Historic Environment Service