Record Details

NHER Number:2228
Type of record:Monument
Name:St Helen's Church, Sutton Road, Cross Keys


This house was constructed in 1881 as a church dedicated to St Helen, and converted to a private residence in 1989. It is a Gothic Revival structure in the 'Early English' style, constructed of red and white brick and an apse to the east and a bellcote to the west. It is thought that the church may stand on or near the site of a chapel of ease noted in 1608 and still standing in 1762.


  • St Helen's Church, Cross Keys, Walpole St Andrew.  © Norfolk Museums & Archaeology Service


Grid Reference:TF 5120 1987
Map Sheet:TF51NW

Full description

1881. Gothic Revival, 'Early English', red and white brick, with good brick moulded dentils, and ornamental ridge tiles. Apse to east; bellcote to west.
Visited by E. Rose (NAU), 28 February 1979.
E. Rose (NAU).

This is on or near the site of a chapel of ease noted in 1608 and still standing in 1762. For comparison see. (S1).
E. Rose (NAU).

Converted to house 1989. See (S2).
E. Rose (NAU), 26 April 1989.

Architects plans (S3) and press cutting in file.

Monument Types

  • (Former Type) CHAPEL (Medieval to 17th Century - 1066 AD? to 1608 AD?)
  • CHURCH (19th Century to Late 20th Century - 1881 AD to 1989 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Newspaper Article: Lynn News. 1990. Pulpit a real talking point… (Sale Advertisement). 13 November.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1994. Sale advertisement. 8 August.
<S1>Newspaper Article: Lynn News. 1992. Unusual trio now on the market. 25 August.
<S2>Newspaper Article: Lynn News. 1989. Happy as Barry in his church house. 14 April.
<S3>Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service