Record Details

NHER Number:22126
Type of record:Building
Name:Railway Farm House


A 17th century and later one and a half storey pebble dashed timber framed farmhouse with a thatched roof and modern extensions to the side and rear.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TF 9765 1222
Map Sheet:TF91SE

Full description

1985. Grade II listed.
Seventeenth-century farmhouse and later. One and a half storeys, pebble dashed timber frame with thatched roof. Lobby entrance type farmhouse with blocked lobby doorway. Facade of 4 3-light casements and a small square window to lobby. Central axial stack. Modern extensions to side and rear. Interior. Spinal bridging joists with ogee stops. Blocked winding stair beside stack. One open fireplace with timber bressumer.
H. White (NLA), 14 July 2009.

Site formerly wrongly numbered NHER 17384.
Timber framed 17th century house.
See brief notes and press cutting (S1) in file.
Listed, see (S2) for further details.
E. Rose (NLA), 26 September 1997.

March 2009. Site visit.
The farmhouse was listed in 1985 with additional observations made following a site visit by S. Heywood (NCC). Access to the roof revealed two remaining queen post trusses and fragmentary remains of the two others. Surviving purlins and triangular section ridge purlin. Principal posts have arched braces to cambered tie beams.
See (S3).
S. Howard (NLA), 2 August 2010.

July 2009. Historic building recording.
Various single storey additions have been made, including a conservatory to the south west and an extension to the north-west which may have been built over the original service rooms. The original entrance is now blocked, but was into a lobby opposite the stack. The ceiling of both bays survive with spinal bridging joists joining onto transverse beams against the stack. They are decorated with chamfers with ogee stops. The roof is of queen post construction, which makes it one of the northernmost examples recorded.
See (S4) for further details
H. White (NLA), 14 July 2009.

Monument Types

  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • TIMBER FRAMED BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. NHERs 17384 and 22126.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 631.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1995. Rare thatch just the job for fine house. 27 October.
<S2>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1168756.
<S3>Unpublished Document: Heywood, S. 2009. Additional notes for Railway Farm, fen Road (formerly Frayton Hall Road), Scarning..
<S4>Unpublished Document: Heywood, S. 2009. An historic building recording, Railway Farmhouse, Fen Lane, Scarning, Dereham.. July.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2023 Norfolk Historic Environment Service