Record Details

NHER Number:22025
Type of record:Building
Name:Manor House


An early 18th century brick manor house, two storeys high with attics and cellars.There are extensions of one storey, also with attics. Although modified in the 19th and 20th centuries, the house is largely unchanged, and the original woodwork and hinges generally survive.
During renovation work in 1996, a bread oven was discovered.
In the grounds, there are stables that date to before 1780, and a barn that dates to after this date.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 3824 0820
Map Sheet:TG30NE

Full description

Local builder's version of a small but grand early 18th century brick house. Low kitchen wing may indicate a change in plan during construction. Excellent survival of original woodwork and hinges. Some small 19th and 20th century alterations but largely unchanged.
See (S1) and architects plans in file.
E.Rose (NLA) 3 October 1994.

1996. House restored, bread oven discovered. Some reused medieval carved stone fragments found in wall of detached shed.
E.Rose (NLA) 26 June 1996.

Monument Types

  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • MANOR (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Photograph: HLK 22-6.
---Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1051446.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 387.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Collection: Norfolk Historic Environment Record Staff. 1975-[2000]. HER Record Notes. Norfolk Historic Environment Service.
<S1>Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 1994. Building Report.. Building Report.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service