Record Details

NHER Number:21897
Type of record:Building
Name:Apple Cottage and Sunnyside, Henstead Road


The oldest part of Apple Cottage is partially timber framed, and probably dates to the 16th century. This section of the house was part of a large timber framed house, and had upper floors inserted in the 17th century. The main block of Apple Cottage dates from the 1950s. The majority of the timber framed building was demolished in about 1800, and some timbers seem to have been reused in Sunnyside, which dates mainly to the late 18th and early 19th centuries.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 1538 0518
Map Sheet:TG10NE

Full description

Small cottage contains one wall of timber framed house and 17th century beam, probably is one remaining room of hall house with inserted 17th century floor, the remainder all rebuilt or clad in about 1800 and largely demolished either at that date or in 1950 when house extended. Adjacent Sunnyside, about 1800, has some reused beams from this house?
See (S1) in file.
E. Rose (NAU) 1 November 1985.

Monument Types

  • HALL HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • TIMBER FRAMED BUILDING (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • TIMBER FRAMED BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • HOUSE (Early 20th Century to 21st Century - 1901 AD to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2011. A pretty 16th century coattage which could be the apple of your eye. 12 August.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 1985. Building Report.. Building Report.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service