Record Details

NHER Number:21558
Type of record:Building
Name:Old Brewery House/Dial House


An early 17th century two storey red brick house and brewery, much altered and now a hotel. It was rebuilt and extended in the early 18th century, with further extensive alterations in the 19th century. Inside, some oak panelling remains, and there is a fine 18th century facing the main entrance.


  • Old Brewery House, an early 17th century red brick house and brewery.  © Norfolk Museums & Archaeology Service


Grid Reference:TG 1000 2290
Map Sheet:TG12SW

Full description

House and brewery, now hotel.
Early 17th century core to southwest, rebuilt and extended early 18th century as an L-shape of two storeys and attics. 19th century west T-shaped wing. Extra rear pile and west refronting of 1900. Modern extensions to converted maltings. Red brick and pantiles. Main south façade of seven bays with plinth, modillion cornice, parapet and moulded string course. Sash windows and central porch with pilasters, sundial, fine carved Corinthian canopy with pediment, fruit etc. dated 1738. Parapet gable to west with rear steps and external stack. West gable north wing stepped flint plinth to wall and two string courses. The rear pile of 1900 has stone doorway.
Little remains original inside; brick open fireplace with timber bressumer in north wing. Fine 18th century staircase facing main entrance. Some late 17th century oak panelling.
Wrought iron railings in front of house. Former maltings of no real interest.
Information from (S1).
E. Rose (NAU), 25 July 1985.

19th century record in (S2) of a fine dog gate with revolving rail on stairs.
E. Rose (NAU), 31 January 1986.

A well, said to be 18th century and to have supplied water to the brewery until 1876, was restored in 1996.
E. Rose (NLA), 22 April 1996.

Press cuttings (S3), (S4) and (S5) and architectural plans (S6) in file.

The well is stated in (S7) to have been previously restored in 1900 when the cover was made from the woodwork of Booton windmill.
E. Rose (NLA), 2 July 2004.

4 March 2011. Planning Appliaction.
Application to install CCTV cameras.
See (S8).
Z. Dack (HES), 12 April 2011.

Monument Types

  • BREWERY (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • INN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • MALTINGS (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • WELL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1995. TG 1022F - K.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 646.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1076840.
<S2>Archive: Bolingbroke Collection.
<S3>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1996. [Articles on the reopening of a well after being restored].
<S4>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1992. [Photograph of Old Brewery House, Reepham]. 1 February.
<S5>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1997. [Photograph of Reepham's Market Place in 1967]. 14 November.
<S6>Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans.
<S7>Publication: Reepham Society. 2003. Harry Hawes Walk. p 29.
<S8>Unpublished Document: 2011. Planning Application.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2023 Norfolk Historic Environment Service