|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of Snoring Windmill|
The site of a post mill, built in 1808 and last used in 1922. Today, only its large tree-covered mound remains, together with some of the masonry supports and a few timbers.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 9491 3378|
|Parish:||LITTLE SNORING, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
No trace remains of this in a wood, except for a block of stone and some beams.
E. Rose 16 November 1979.
Marked on (S1). The beams and stones were identified by Norfolk Industrial rchaeology Society in 1970 as being the central post and four supports for a post mill This was an open trestle mill, built in 1808 and last used in 1922. Information from .
E. Rose (NAU), 23 March 1982.
27 April 1992. Visit.
Very large tree-covered mound, with three blocks of masonry and two beams on top. Old photographs (S2) in file.
D.Gurney (NLA) 28 April 1992.
In 1970 the central post was still intact and the bases for the supports were still visible.
NIAS records (S3)
W. Arnold HES 11/01/11
- WINDMILL (19th Century to Early 20th Century - 1808 AD to 1922 AD)
- ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- BEAM (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Map: Ordnance Survey. 1824-1836. Ordnance Survey First Edition 1 inch.. |
|<S2>||Photograph: Old photographs of mill. |
Related records - none
Find out more...