|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of All Saints' Church, Alethorpe|
The site of All Saints' Church, which served the medieval hamlet of Alethorpe (NHER 2140). The church building was in disrepair and used as a barn by 1602, its demise linked to the depopulation of the village in the 16th century. Nothing can be seen today, though three human skeltons were unearthed in 1962 in what is presumed to be the old churchyard. A tree stands on the site of the church itself.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 9490 3133|
|Parish:||LITTLE SNORING, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Standing in 1419 as a chapel. A barn in 1602.
April 1962. Three human skeletons found in cutting drains on old orchard on site of church.
16 November 1979. Visit, but owner absent.
However it appears that a tree marks the church site.
E. Rose (NAU).
Press cutting (S1) in file. Appropriate section from (S2) in file.
- CHAPEL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- INHUMATION (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- BARN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- HUMAN REMAINS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TF 93 SW 5 . |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Serial: 1962. Council for British Archaeology Group 7 Bulletin of Archaeological Discoveries for 1962. No 9. p 2. |
|---||Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Snoring (Little). |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1962. Skeletons at Fakenham. 9 April. |
|<S2>||Monograph: Batcock, N. 1991. The Ruined and Disused Churches of Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology. No 51. Microfiche 5:G12. No 133; p 53. |
Related records - none
Find out more...