Record Details

NHER Number:20530
Type of record:Building
Name:Old King's Arms, High Street


An 18th century former pub, double fronted and two storeys high, of colourwashed brick, with a black and red pantiled roof. The façade facing the road is early 19th century, with full height bay windows to each side of a central doorway. The rear part dates to about 1700. The original interior detailing is intact.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 0314 2488
Map Sheet:TG02SW

Full description

According to (S1) this had a walled up staircase and hidden panelling in the bar removed in a late 19th century restoration.

May 1983. Listed, Grade II.
Listing Description:
18th century double fronted, two storeys colourwashed brick, black and red pantiles. Early 19th century façade to road with full height bay windows each side of central door. Rear range of about 1700 with dentilled cornice, string course, gable stack, two early 18th century windows with reused 18th century reticulated tracery window in outshut. Settle and interior details intact.
Information from (S2).
Located by E. Rose (NAU), July 1984. NB corrected card - earlier confused with Foulsham House.

Plans (S3) in secondary file.

Monument Types

  • INN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Serial: Bryant, T. H. 1908. Hundred of Eynesford.
<S2>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1050978.
<S3>Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service