|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Multi-period finds and post-medieval and undated ditches|
Prehistoric flint flakes and fragments of pottery dating from the Roman to the post medieval periods found during fieldwalking. In 2007 an archaeological evaluation revealed a post medieval field boundary and several of undated features.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TM 3710 9790|
|Parish:||LODDON, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
1983/4. Triangular field in apex of bypass and old road, truncated to west by industrial development below cliff.
Well weathered surface. Hales Survey site 112.
Three prehistoric flint flakes (J. Wymer (NAU) January 1985).
Three sherds probably Roman greyware.
Two sherds Roman or medieval.
One sherd Middle Saxon fine sandy Ipswich ware.
One damaged rim, Late Saxon Thetford type jar or medieval.
Five medieval unglazed sherds
One jug rim, late medieval/ transitional.
Two post medieval glazed red earthenwares, two stoneware, three CFPC.
Identified by A. Rogerson (NAU).
(S1) in file.
E. Rose (NAU), 15 May 1984.
February 2007. Trial Trenching.
Trial trenching revealed a post-medieval field boundary and an undated linear feature. Finds included flint flakes of probable Neolithic to Bronze Age date, prehistoric and post-medieval pottery sherds and 3 fragments of post-medieval to modern ceramic building material.
See report (S2) for further details.
The associated archive has been deposited with the Norwich Castle Museum (NWHCM : 2016.324).
A. Cattermole (NLA), 26 September 2007. Amended by P. Watkins (HES), 23 June 2019.
- LINEAR FEATURE (Unknown date)
- FINDSPOT (Prehistoric - 1000000 BC to 42 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Early Neolithic to Late Bronze Age - 4000 BC to 701 BC)
- FINDSPOT (Late Prehistoric - 4000 BC to 42 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Middle Saxon - 651 AD to 850 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- DITCH (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FIELD BOUNDARY (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FLAKE (Lower Palaeolithic to Late Iron Age - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- FLAKE (Early Neolithic to Late Bronze Age - 4000 BC to 701 BC)
- POT (Late Prehistoric - 4000 BC to 42 AD)
- POT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- POT (Middle Saxon - 651 AD to 850 AD)
- POT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- BRICK (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- TILE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||*Fieldwork: Hales Survey. 122. Hales. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Map: Finder's Map.. |
|<S2>||Unpublished Contractor Report: Peachey, M. 2007. Archaeological Evaluation at Junction of the A146 and Beccles Road, Loddon, Norfolk. Archaeological Project Services. 14/07. |
Related records - none
Find out more...