|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||St Mary's and All Saints' Church, Sculthorpe|
The exterior of this church is mostly of Victorian. The chancel was demolished in the 18th century and the rebuilt one, completed in 1847, features extravagant Decorated windows. The southwest tower serves as a porch and there was once a vestry to the northeast of the building, before this and the threshold cross were removed in the 19th century. Inside there is a Norman font decorated with figures relating to the Adoration of the Magi, a charming 18th century organ case and a memorial to Major General Sir John Thomas Jones of Cranmer Hall.
|Grid Reference:||TF 8996 3190|
|Parish:||SCULTHORPE, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Press cutting in file. Not yet visited. Norman font with Adoration of Magi mentioned in (S1).
R.R. Clarke (NCM).
(S2) (Rye MSS 17 NRO); southwest tower serving as porch with entrance on south; north aisle; chancel collapsed, had had charnel house below; building formerly at the northeast corner - purpose?, crucifix in circular stone with tenon, as if top of cross, used as south threshold. Source (S3) say church built by Sir Robert Knollys temp Henry IV (both references checked by E. Rose (NAU)).
Perpendicular windows removed when aisle rebuilt in 19th century; one is at Thorpeland Hall (NHER 2142 - seen E. Rose (NAU)) and other said to be at Great Ryburgh, though not traced there. However, a local historian, states this was a mistaken story put about by a former verger - the other two windows were reset in the Galilee here. He also says the 'ruined NE building' of (S2) was a vestry, and the threshold cross was removed in the 19th century.
E. Rose (NAU) 20 September 1985.
Knollys roof with twenty shields removed in 1812, but recorded by Chitterley. Remains of west tower excavated around 1870.
Information from G. Pooley.
(S4) states that the north aisle was indeed built by Knollys in the 15th century but the tower predates this, and most of what is visible is 19th century.
E. Rose (NLA) 10 April 2006.
- CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- CROSS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- CHURCH (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FONT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Monograph: Bryant, T. H. 1900. Hundred of Gallow. The Churches of Norfolk. Vol VI. pp 133-140. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. pp 633-634. |
|---||Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Sculthorpe. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Article in Serial: Clapham. 1934. [unknown]. Vol II, p 155. |
|<S2>||Documentary Source: Martin, T. c. 1700-1799. Collections of Church Notes. Norfolk Records Office. c. 1740. |
|<S3>||Serial: 1819. Excursions through Norfolk. |
|<S4>||*Verbal Communication: Randall, G.. 2006. Lecture at Cambridge. March. |
|<S6>||Newspaper Article: Lynn News. 1991. [Illustration of St Mary's and All Saints' Church, Sculthorpe from 1840]. 9 April. |
Related records - none
Find out more...