|Type of record:||Building|
This mid 19th century house and barn was built by the noted eccentric W. Philippo. It is two storeys high and has a façade of three bays, and is constructed of red brick. There is a coat of arms over the door with an inscription indicating the first owner's claimed descent from the standard bearer at Agincourt. There is also a red brick barn of three steads with terracotta busts as kneelers and stone heads on the apex.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 0083 2891|
|Parish:||WOOD NORTON, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
March 1984. Listed, Grade II.
Mid 19th century house and barn built by noted eccentric W. Philippo (compare Philippo Farm, Barney (Site 19773)). Formerly dated 1854. Façade of three bays, two storeys in red brick. Over door a coat of arms with inscription THE ARMORIAL BEARINGS OF W S PHILIPPO ESQ - J Blyth sc(ulptor) Fakenham - AGINCOURT - LIBERTY AND FRATERNITY (he claimed descent from the standard bearer at Agincourt).
Red brick barn of three steads has terracotta busts as kneelers and stone heads on apex marked 'Billy' (William Norris, squire of Wood Norton) and 'Jacob' (Lord Hastings of Melton Constable).
Information from (S1).
E. Rose (NAU), 1 December 1983.
- BARN (19th Century to 21st Century - 1830 AD? to 2100 AD)
- HOUSE (19th Century to 21st Century - 1830 AD? to 2100 AD)
Associated Finds - none
- Listed Building
- Listed Building
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Photograph: Photograph of Severals Grange Farm Barn, Wood Norton. Black & white. |
|<S1>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1049200. |
Related records - none
Find out more...