|Type of record:||Find Spot|
Prehistoric flint flakes and a core and fragments of Roman and post medieval pottery have been found during fieldwalking. Metal detecting has recovered a lovely example of an Early Saxon mount with silvering and gilding in the shape of a human mask with stylised birds. Two medieval coins have also been found on the site.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TM 36 96|
|Parish:||LODDON, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
1983. Field higher at south end. Hales survey site 78.
Numerous flints here, only one or two definitely worked but many others suggest waste from flintworking.
Fairly well weathered ploughsoil.
1 Samian sherd.
13 worked flint, 12 flakes and one crude core (identified by J. Wymer (NAU) January 1985).
1 Roman greyware base.
5 glazed red earthenware.
1 black glazed post medieval.
1 flower pot.
3 18th to 19th century glazed.
1 copper alloy rectangular object.
Identified by A. Rogerson (NAU) September 1983.
See (S1) in file.
September to October 1999. Metal detecting.
Early Saxon copper alloy mount, very exciting new find!!
2 medieval coins.
See lists in file.
K. Hinds (NLA)
- FINDSPOT (Prehistoric - 1000000 BC to 42 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Early Saxon - 410 AD to 650 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- UNIDENTIFIED OBJECT (Undated)
- CORE (Lower Palaeolithic to Late Iron Age - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- FLAKE (Lower Palaeolithic to Late Iron Age - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- POT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- HARNESS FITTING (Early Saxon - 411 AD to 650 AD)
- PURSE (Early Saxon - 411 AD to 650 AD)
- SHIELD (Early Saxon - 411 AD to 650 AD)
- STRAP FITTING (Early Saxon - 411 AD to 650 AD)
- COIN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||*Fieldwork: Hales Survey. 78. Hales. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Map: Finder's Map.. |
Related records - none
Find out more...