Record Details

NHER Number:19481
Type of record:Building
Name:Malthouse Farm


This lobby entrance house dates to about 1600 and has a timber frame partly replaced in brick. A later 17th century brick returned gable end with chimneystack has been added. Most of the fenestration is 18th-19th century but the porch is modern. The original winding staircase on the entrance side of the chimneystack survives. The associated stable block dates to around 1800 and the original three bays are defined by pilasters.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TM 2544 9853
Map Sheet:TM29NE

Full description

December 1983. Listed, Grade II.
Lobby entrance house dating to about 1600, timber frame partly replaced in brick. Later 17th century brick returned gable end with chimneystack added. One surviving mullioned window. Other fenestration 18th-19th century. 18th century roof. Modern porch. Original winding stair on entrance side of chimneystack. Two original four-centred brick fireplaces. Stopped beams. Reused purlins in roof.
Stable block about 1800. Original three bays defined by pilasters. Upper storey. Large centre arch and five arches to left. Extended two bays with giant order containing arches and lunettes.
Information from (S1).
E. Rose (NAU) 29 September 1983.

Monument Types

  • HOUSE (16th Century to 21st Century - 1600 AD to 2100 AD)
  • TIMBER FRAMED BUILDING (16th Century to 21st Century - 1600 AD to 2100 AD)
  • STABLE (18th Century to 21st Century - 1800 AD to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
<S1>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entries 1050682 and 1152422.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service