|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Lilac Farm, Seamere Road|
This was originally a timber framed house dating to around 1620. A brick gable and chimney stack were added to the east end in 1671, and at about the same time, a Quaker meeting room was built on the west end. The building was used as a meeting house until 1837, and then used as a barn from 1927. Restoration in 1983 returned the property to residential use. In the garden are two pieces of carved medieval stone of unknown origin.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 0315 0176|
|Parish:||HINGHAM, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
January 1977. Listed, Grade II.
Listing Description excerpt:
"House. 17th century. Timber framed, roughcast, west half weatherboarded. Black glazed pantile roof with gable ends. Two storeys. West end open hall and reputed to have been Quaker's Meeting House. At time of survey, 1976, being renovated...Central vertical boarded door. Large brick chimney stack at east end rendered. Later outshut at rear.
Interior: Exposed timber framing and chamfered beams, west end open hall."
Information from (S1).
Please consult the National Heritage List for England (S1) for the current listing details.
Amended by P. Watkins (HES), 20 February 2022.
Former Quaker meeting house 1708-1837, became a barn 1927, restored in 1983.
Began as two storeyed timber framed 17th century house; gable wall and stack in brick and flint added 1671, meeting room added at other end; one would think, at same date, but (S3) states 1708; if accurate, this is very important. Beams from elsewhere imported 1983.
In garden two medieval carved stone bases of unknown origin.
See report (S2), copy of (S3), photographs and estate agent's particulars (S4) in file.
E. Rose (NLA), 24 September 1996.
Described in (S5) as a Friends' Meeting House with timber-framed and weather-boarded structure. The meeting house is two bays in length and incorporates part of the third bay of the cottage were a gallery was also formed.
M. Langham-Lopez (HES), 18 October 2012.
- CEMETERY (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- TIMBER FRAMED HOUSE (17th Century to 21st Century - 1620 AD to 2100 AD)
- (Former Type) FRIENDS MEETING HOUSE (18th Century to 19th Century - 1708 AD to 1837 AD)
- (Former Type) NONCONFORMIST CHAPEL (18th Century to 19th Century - 1708 AD to 1837 AD)
- (Former Type) BARN (Early 20th Century to Late 20th Century - 1927 AD to 1983 AD)
- ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Designation: Historic England. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1051153. |
|<S2>||Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 1996. Building Report.. Building Report. |
|<S3>||Article in Serial: Partridge, E.. 1996. Hingham Meeting House.. The Quarterly. No 21, pp 11-14. |
|<S4>||Unpublished Document: Francis Hornor & Son. 1992. Estate Agent's Particulars.. |
|<S5>||Monograph: Stell, C. 2002. Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting-houses in Eastern England. p 246. |
Related records - none
Find out more...