|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of medieval settlements and cross|
This is the site of several small medieval settlements along the edge of Stubbs Green. A cross is mentioned close to these settlement sites in medieval documents. Fieldwalking has recovered medieval and post medieval pottery and other finds from the site. Metal-detecting at some point before 1997 recovered a medieval padlock.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TM 360 972|
|Parish:||LODDON, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
26 September 1982. Fieldwalking. Ploughed and rolled, moderate conditions.
Post medieval sherds
In 4 concentrations plus general scatter.
See list in file.
Identified by A. Rogerson (NAU) 28 June 1983.
Site of Branteshaghe cross. See (S1).
(S1) also records this as Site 63, a number of small concentrations of medieval activity along the edge of Stubbs Green. None of the settlements appear to date from before the 12th century, and they had been abandoned by the early post medieval period.
See (S1) for more details.
S. Spooner (NLA) 23 May 2006
Before 1997. Metal-detecting. .
Information from PAS import.
E. McDonald (HES), 3 April 2017.
- CROSS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Medieval to 16th Century - 1066 AD to 1540 AD)
- SETTLEMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- KNIFE (Undated)
- METAL WORKING DEBRIS (Undated)
- QUERN (Undated)
- LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Lower Palaeolithic to Late Iron Age - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- BRICK (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- PADLOCK (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||*Fieldwork: Hales Survey. 63. Hales. |
|---||Map: Finder's Map.. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Monograph: Davison, A.. 1990. The Evolution of Settlement in Three Parishes in South-East Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology. Vol 49. p 52. |
Related records - none
Find out more...