Record Details

NHER Number:18896
Type of record:Monument
Name:Site of post medieval smock mill


This is the site of a post medieval smock mill shown on an Ordnance Survey map of 1883. The mill burnt down in 1898.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 4525 1785
Map Sheet:TG41NE

Full description

Wind mill (corn) marked on (S1),
Building is no longer marked on current 6 inch map.
E. Rose (NAU) 8 March 1983.

A smock mill erected in about 1850; last heard of 'For Sale' on 1 April 1898.
Information from [1], May 1983.

Mill was in fact burnt down in 1898.
See (S2)

Monument Types

  • SMOCK MILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • WINDMILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
<S1>Map: Ordnance Survey. 1883. First edition six inch map.
<S2>Article in Serial: Rye, C. G. 1975. The End of the Corn Mills in the Fleggs. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXXVI Pt II pp 185-190. p 189.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service