|Type of record:||Building|
This house appears to be a normal two storey three bay Georgian building with a central round-headed doorway. However, it began life as a single storey thatched dwelling of flint, brick and re-used medieval stone from St Mary's Abbey (NHER 4396). A major transformation took place in about 1780, when the upper floor and north wing were added, the interior layout completely changed and a new façade made (it was once rendered). The scale of the reconstruction suggests that it was for a person of considerable means.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 6575 0100|
|Parish:||WEST DEREHAM, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
House, basically probably early 17th century.
Built with reused stone from abbey.
Georgianised in about 1780.
See report (S1) in file.
E. Rose (NAU), 25 February 1983.
- HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 1983. Building Report.. Building Report. |
Related records - none
Find out more...