Record Details

NHER Number:18507
Type of record:Monument
Name:Site of medieval moated enclosure, medieval metal objects


This is the site of a medieval moated enclosure. A portion of the moat is still visible to west of Moat Terrace, and the north and east arms can be seen as a faint depression. The west arm is still recognisable as an earthwork feature, partially infilled. Metal detecting in 1992 recovered a number of medieval metal objects from the area of the moat.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TF 50 16
Map Sheet:TF51NW

Full description

Present 6 inch Ordnance Survey map shows what appears to be a rectangle of drainage ditches with southwest corner missing; but the tithe map around 1840 shows ditches as much larger (ie wider) with pond in missing corner and marks as moat, distinct from other drainage ditches.
E. Rose (NAU), 15 November 1982.

2 May 1984. Now mostly overgrown and gradually being filled in.
Southwest corner gone as stated. Most of south side remains as stagnant waterfilled dyke. Around 6m wide and 1.6m deep. East and north sides complete. North part west side remains and is 8m wide and 1m deep. Southwest corner filled in for grounds of Townsend House but part towards north remains as grass filled hollow. From middle of west side another much silted dyke runs off to southwest. This is around 0.5m deep with low bank of same height on north side. Probably inlet or outlet. Interior island used for growing fruit bushes. Market gardens, young conifers, and part overgrown. In extreme northeast corner a circular mound 15m diameter and 1.4m high. WPP 81 (S1).
For full details see Fenland Folders (S2).
R. Silvester (NAU), 2 May 1984.

1992. Metal detector finds.
Rear garden of Townsend House - within moat, plan in file.
Medieval metalwork.
See list in file.
A. Rogerson (NLA), 1 February 1993.

Description in 1984 now changed. Portion of moat still visible to west of Moat Terrace and in grounds of Townshead House. This masked by trees and undergrowth. North and east arms seen as faint depression in garden of Asquith House. West arm still recognisable as earthwork feature, but partly filled, some 5m wide and 0.75-1m deep. Some garden rubbish deposited in this area. Owner says north and east arms infilled in 1990-91. Trees removed by pulling out by roots.
H. Paterson (NLA), 21 November 1996.

Owner No. 2 reports in letter 13 December 1996 that she has a block of stone built into her dining room fireplace carved with a fleur de lys inside a diamond, and another in the porch carved with a spray of flowers, both of a pinkish colour, and dug up in the garden by a previous owner. Descriptions suggests these are of late date.
E. Rose (NLA), 21 January 1997.

June 2008. Desk-based Assessment and Topographic Survey.
Assessment of proposed development site adjacent to Asquith House. As part of this study a topographic survey was completed in order to determine whether the infilled section of the eastern arm of the moat would be affected by the proposed development. This survey identified the likely path of the moat, at the western edge of the area examined.
See report (S3) for further details.
P. Watkins (HES), 19 August 2015.

Monument Types

  • DRAINAGE DITCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • MOAT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • MOUND (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Associated Finds

  • WORKED OBJECT (Undated)
  • BELT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • BUCKLE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • RING (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • STRAP FITTING (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • VESSEL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Unpublished Contractor Report: Birks, C. 2008. Report on a Desk-based Assessment at Asquith House, School Lane, Walpole St Peter, Norfolk. Chris Birks Archaeological Services. CB116R.
<S1>*Fieldwork: Fenland Survey. WPP 81. FENS. WPP 81.
<S2>Archive: Fenland Folders.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service