Record Details

NHER Number:18478
Type of record:Building
Name:Post medieval windmill at Mill House


The former tower mill here has four storeys and is topped with modern battlements. It dates to the mid 18th century and originally had three storeys, before one was removed. Then in 1815 two more storeys were added – giving it its present appearance. The mill now serves as a house, having been converted and extended.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TF 5026 1179
Map Sheet:TF51SW

Full description

28 October 1982. Visit by E. Rose (NAU).
Tower mill, red brick once tarred over. Four storeys - the lower two on a wide tapering base, the upper two in a vertical shaft; with modern battlements.
Converted and extended to form house.
E. Rose (NAU) 28 October 1982.

Listed Grade II 1985 as mid 18th century.

Originally three storeys reduced to two in 1815.
Then two more added with tie plates 'JD 1815' for John Dobbs.
E. Rose (NAU) 4 February 1986.

Monument Types

  • MILL HOUSE (18th Century to 21st Century - 1750 AD to 2100 AD)
  • WINDMILL (18th Century to 19th Century - 1750 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 750.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2022 Norfolk Historic Environment Service