|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of Thompson Hall|
This is thought to be the site of Thompson Hall, which was the home of the Tooke family until its sale to the Walsinghams. It is thought to have been demolished around 1800, but a cottage and walled garden survived on the site until around the 1950s-1960s.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TL 9221 9556|
|Parish:||THOMPSON, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
Site of Thompson Hall.
Tom Martin's Church Notes contain drawings of panelling here dated 1544 (S1).
Informant states that this was the home of the Tooke family who sold it to the Walsinghams after a long dispute; it was then demolished in spite. This was around 1800. 
The cottage on Ordnance Survey 6 inch and the walled garden survived until 1950s/1968 when it was partially demolished for bricks to repair Merton Hall. 
No building is marked in this area on Faden.
E. Rose (NAU), 30 April 1982.
Mahogany doors from the Hall are said to be at the old Merton rectory now Silverdell in Thompson parish, but the date of the doors is not known.
E. Rose (NLA), 13 August 1997.
- GREAT HOUSE (16th Century to 18th Century - 1540 AD? to 1800 AD?)
- HOUSE (16th Century to 18th Century - 1540 AD? to 1800 AD?)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797. |
|<S1>||Documentary Source: Martin, T. c. 1700-1799. Collections of Church Notes. Norfolk Records Office. 1730. |
Related records - none
Find out more...