|Type of record:||Find Spot|
|Name:||Prehistoric flints and multi-period metal objects, coins and pottery sherds|
Fieldwalking in this area during 1982 and 1987 recovered prehistoric flints along with sherds of Iron Age, Roman, Early Saxon, Late Saxon, medieval and post medieval pottery. Subsequent metal detecting here in 1997-98 retrieved Roman, medieval and post medieval coins and pieces of Saxon and medieval metalwork including a Late Saxon bridle bit. A small fieldwalking exercise undertaken in 2008 recovered relatively few finds, the most notable of which was a Mesolithic microlith.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TL 94 89|
|Parish:||WRETHAM, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
26 January 1982. Casual fieldwalking area 30m east-to-west by 50m north-to-south approximately along east boundary churchyard.
Same plot as Context 10, see below.
One flint flake.
One Roman greyware jar rim.
Two Roman? (probable) and two Roman? (possible) greyware body sherds. One Roman calcite gritted body sherd.
One Thetford type body sherd with thumbed strip.
Two Thetford type sagging base sherds.
One medieval unglazed body sherd.
One narrow strap handle glazed Grimston Ware.
Finds held by NCM, formerly by NAU staff fieldworkers (A. Rogerson, K. Penn, P. Wade-Martins).
Identified by A. Rogerson (NAU) 29 January 1982.
A. Rogerson (NAU) 29 January 1982.
April 1987. Fieldwalking all around church and hall. See details of conditions, plans and lists in file.
Context 1 above is roughly same plot as Context 10. Finder's Site 8. Perhaps just overlapping north and south.
Finds of flints.
Iron Age or Early Saxon sherds.
Roman, medieval, Late Saxon and post medieval sherds, prehistoric sherds and slag.
Full list in file, eighteen contexts, and see also NHER 23712.
Identified by A. Rogerson (NAU).
E. Rose (NAU) 29 May 1987.
1997 and 1998. Metal detecting.
Six Roman, five medieval and one post medieval coins found by .
Undated/Early Saxon/medieval metalwork, pottery and bone.
See lists in file.
1998. Metal detecting.
Late Saxon bridle bit found by .
K. Sussams (NCM) 20 May 1999.
23 February 2008. Fieldwalking survey.
Fieldwalking training day undertaken by the Breckland Society within Church Field (south of the church). Two blocks of transects were walked, the southernmost of which (Area B) included part of NHER 1047. A number of worked flints were recovered including a snapped Mesolithic microlith. A single patinated blade was also of potentially relatively early in date (both from Area B). The remainder of the flint assemblage comprised 25 flakes, some with use-wear and/or retouch. Most were relatively crude, displaying characteristics of a Late Bronze Age or Early Iron Age assemblage. A few were however of possible Neolithic or Early Bronze Age date. Other finds noted included a thin scatter of red brick and pantile and two sherds of Grimston ware.
See description in file
H. White, (NLA), 12 November 2009. Amended by P. Watkins (HES), 24 April 2013.
- FINDSPOT (Unknown date)
- FINDSPOT (Prehistoric - 1000000 BC to 42 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Early Mesolithic to Early Neolithic - 10000 BC to 3001 BC)
- FINDSPOT (Mesolithic - 10000 BC to 4001 BC)
- FINDSPOT (Early Neolithic to Early Bronze Age - 4000 BC to 1501 BC)
- FINDSPOT (Late Bronze Age to Early Iron Age - 1000 BC to 401 BC)
- FINDSPOT (Iron Age - 800 BC to 42 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Early Saxon - 410 AD to 650 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- METAL WORKING DEBRIS (Undated)
- RING (Undated)
- ROUGHOUT (Undated)
- LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Lower Palaeolithic to Late Iron Age - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- FLAKE (Early Mesolithic to Early Neolithic - 10000 BC? to 3001 BC?)
- MICROLITH (Mesolithic - 10000 BC to 4001 BC)
- FLAKE (Early Neolithic to Early Bronze Age - 4000 BC to 1501 BC)
- FLAKE (Late Bronze Age to Early Iron Age - 1000 BC to 401 BC)
- POT (Iron Age - 800 BC to 42 AD)
- POT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- BOW BROOCH (Early Saxon - 411 AD to 650 AD)
- POT (Early Saxon - 411 AD to 650 AD)
- POT (Early Saxon - 411 AD to 650 AD)
- SLEEVE CLASP (Early Saxon - 411 AD to 650 AD)
- BRIDLE BIT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- POT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- VESSEL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
Related records - none
Find out more...