Record Details

NHER Number:17744
Type of record:Monument
Name:Medieval wood boundary bank


A medieval earthwork bank, tracing the boundary of the 'Great Wood', a large medieval wood which was taken into the park in the 17th century. The bank may also mark the limits of the medieval manor belonging to the Bishop, see NHER 6714.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 1677 2951
Map Sheet:TG12NE

Full description

Wood Boundary bank.
Section of original boundary of Great Wood, referred to in 16th century charters.
Massive triple bank and ditch.
Wood felled 1939 to 45 but line still marked by OS as boundary of rough pasture, at 1709 2915.
E. Rose (NAU) 17 November 1981.

Further traced by P. Wade-Martins (NAU) from 1658 2921 to 1663 3001 around present Great Wood, and small isolated section at 1683 2952.
The reference to the wood is in fact 1616 and the felling was 1934 to 5.
But bank is probably medieval and may mark boundary of Bishops Manor centred on NHER 6714 before mid 16th century union of manors.
Northern section continues eastward as faint bank to 1738 2978, being the early 17th century boundary of Great Wood and park after manor amalgamation.
Interesting that this section was not embanked in 18th century as in remainder of park.
P. Wade-Martins (NAU) and E. Rose (NAU) 26 June 1985.

An alternative course to the southernmost destroyed section (17744 context 1) is suggested by the Head Forester on the basis of the occurence of small leaved limes and blue bells.
This goes south of the present trackway and cuts the so called deer pits which are 19th century features on the site of an 18th century farm.
E. Rose, (NLA) 25 January 1999.

September 2008
Several pits identified, three in the north -east of the wood are long, shallow and able to be entered by cart. A deep pit in the north of the wood is likely to have been a quarry. Contains much dogs mercury, bluebells and an ancient tree, possibly a survivor from an earlier wood.
See (S1) for further information
H. White (NLA), 3 February 2009

Monument Types

  • BANK (EARTHWORK) (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WOOD (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • PARK PALE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1994. TG 1630H - J, M - Q; TG 1729B - C.
---Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1995. TG 1629G - H.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
<S1>Unpublished Contractor Report: Penn, K. 2008. Blickling Estate, An Archaeological and Historical Landscape Survey. NAU Archaeology. 1399.

Related records

30433Part of: Blickling Park (Designed Landscape)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service