Record Details

NHER Number:17567
Type of record:Building
Name:The Gangway


An impressive raised roadway, pavement and flint retaining walls built in several phases during the 19th century. In 1897 the architect A. F. Scott was commissioned to lengthen and widen the Gangway to improve access to the foreshore.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 2210 4215
Map Sheet:TG24SW

Full description

Formerly a gulley, infilled with building rubble in 1860s.
Present street dates from 1882 and is a rare example of sawtooth granite setts with smooth tracks for cartwheels, to enable horses to pull loads up from the beach.
See (S1).
E. Rose (NAU) 25 September 1981.

The whole of The Gangway including the raised roadway, flint cobbled retaining walls and pavement listed grade II.
Dated as 1892 rather than 1882 and extended in 1897 by A. F. Scott.
See full history and description in (S2).
E. Rose (NLA), 22 July 2003.

Cromer Society note an unconfirmed report that when the flats known as Merchants Court were built at the south end in the 20th century, remains of a bridge predating the Gangway were found and destroyed without record.
E. Rose (NLA), 9 March 2004.

Monument Types

  • BRIDGE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • ROAD (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---*Verbal Communication: Cromer Society. 2004. [unknown].
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2016. It’s a smooth passage across the cobbles thanks to a historic solution. 6 April.
---Designation: English Heritage. 1990-2013. English Heritage Listing Notification. Notification. DNF7191.
<S1>*Verbal Communication: North Norfolk District Council. [unknown].
<S2>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1350363.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service