Record Details

NHER Number:17240
Type of record:Building
Name:Post medieval icehouses

Summary

Two post medieval icehouses are quite heavily overgrown, with one of the entrance tunnels having collapsed and the other having been infilled. Research shows they were built in 1797 by Sir John Soane.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TM 2244 9891
Map Sheet:TM29NW
Parish:SHOTESHAM, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

11 May 1981. Site visit by E. Rose (NAU).
Icehouses.
Small mound overgrown with ivy in wood by stables.
Considerable distance uphill from river, with no visible entrance tunnel. Door to chamber blocked off leaving bat space.
E. Rose (NAU) 11 May 1981.

1983 Listing (Grade II) confirms note by first informant that in fact this is a pair of icehouses, both ovoid, with one surviving vaulted entrance passage, built 1797 by Sir John Soane.
Card redone 29 September 1983.

1988.
Second informant confirmed to E. Rose (NAU) that one entrance passage had collapsed as stated above, but told W. Milligan (NCM) that the passage was only filled with rubbish and not collapsed.
E. Rose (NAU) 15 February 1988.

Monument Types

  • ICEHOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building
  • SHINE

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2022 Norfolk Historic Environment Service