Record Details

NHER Number:17011
Type of record:Monument
Name:Soilmark of ring ditch and human remains

Summary

Two adjacent circular soilmarks, possibly dating to the Bronze Age, were recorded in 1944. Pieces of burnt human bone were found on the site.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TF 774 141
Map Sheet:TF71SE
Parish:NARFORD, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK

Full description

1944 (reported 1981).
Two adjacent circular soilmarks. 30.5m (100 ft) from road, 42.7m (140 ft) from north boundary.
A = 32 paces diameter, ditch 6 paces wide (sic.).
Burnt material and pieces of bone found on surface. Identified by the Pitt-Rivers Museum as part of the shaft of a left humerus and two parts of the shaft of a left tibia, all human.
B = 25 paces diameter, ditch 3 ft wide, 25 paces southwest of A.
E. Rose (NAU) 2 February 1981.

Monument Types

  • RING DITCH (Unknown date)
  • RING DITCH (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)

Associated Finds

  • HUMAN REMAINS (Undated)

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2022 Norfolk Historic Environment Service