|Type of record:||Find Spot|
|Name:||Multi period finds, near to Washpit Woods|
During the period of 1973-84 a selection of multi period objects was recovered from the ground surface in this location. Finds recorded included prehistoric flint tools, Neolithic flint flakes and part of a quern stone or mill stone - probably of Roman date.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 813 201|
|Parish:||ROUGHAM, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
13 January 1973. From Blackgrounds near Washpit Woods.
Miscellaneous flint tool.
Finder's (cat. no. 4m).
E. Rose (NAU) 10 February 1981.
Also catalogued as 'Blackgrounds, Keith's Farm, Rougham'. Apparently the same.
Miscellaneous tool (92J).
It is the same field, as is 'Blackgrounds, College Farm' under which is catalogued miscellaneous tools found as below.
2 May 1975, (82-5i).
2 February 1975.
E. Rose (NAU) 27 February 1981.
1984. Context 2 at 8113 1996. Surface find.
Half upper quern or mill stone of millstone grit. Could be Roman or post medieval. Not many millstone grit examples are medieval. At least 32cm diameter. Hole is approximately 8cm diameter.
- FINDSPOT (Lower Palaeolithic to 19th Century - 1000000 BC to 1900 AD)
- LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Lower Palaeolithic to Late Iron Age - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
- MILLSTONE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- QUERN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- MILLSTONE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- QUERN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
Related records - none
Find out more...