Record Details

NHER Number:16707
Type of record:Monument
Name:Site of post medieval lime kiln


The site of a lime kiln, marked on a map of 1797. It was thought to have been demolished in 1965, but another report says it was carefully buried in case it was needed again.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TF 9271 4272
Map Sheet:TF94SW

Full description

Site of lime kiln.
Marked on (S1) of 1797.
Demolished in 1965.
Formerly wrongly included on site NHER 1814.
Information from Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society.
E. Rose (NAU), 31 October 1980.

Informant (S2) states it was not destroyed; it was buried under rubbish and topsoil but five old mattresses were first of all placed on top so that it could be dug out again if desired. Nearby is a small but deep cave from which a special vein of chalk was dug out, though this is slowly collapsing.
E. Rose (NLA), 26 November 1993.

December 1998. Landowner reports part of roof of tunnel around bell collapsed after heavy rain.
E. Rose (NLA), 23 December 1998.

Monument Types

  • DENE HOLE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • LIME KILN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
<S1>Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797.
<S2>Archive: NIAS. Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society Records.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service