Record Details

NHER Number:16678
Type of record:Monument


Four limekilns, built in flint and brick, which were in use in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 266 204
Map Sheet:TG22SE

Full description

Lime kilns.
Four, now infilled, flint and brick.
In use between 1879 and 1906.
Access by rail and river.
E. Rose (NAU), 30 October 1980.

Site marked in White's Directory as opening in 1879 (S1) It was still going in 1904 as marked in Kelly's Directory (S2).
From NIAS records (S3)
W. Arnold (HES) 13/12/2010

Monument Types

  • LIME KILN (19th Century to Early 20th Century - 1879 AD to 1906 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---*Verbal Communication: NIAS. [unknown].
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Fiche: Exists.
<S1>Directory: White, W.. 1845. White's History, Gazetteer and Directory of Norfolk.
<S2>Directory: Kelly, E.. Kelly's Directory of Norfolk..
<S3>Archive: NIAS. Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society Records.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service