Record Details

NHER Number:16666
Type of record:Monument
Name:Site of post medieval brickworks, Oak Tree Close


This is the site of a post medieval brickworks that was owned by the Linford family during the 19th century. Some buildings are marked on the site on an Ordnance Survey map of 1953.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 4537 1834
Map Sheet:TG41NE

Full description

West of church.
Site of brickworks.
Building still marked on (S1).
Information from (S2).
E. Rose (NAU) 30 October 1980.

This yard was owned by the Lindford family who had a large house in White Street, in the 19th century, and may have produced the bricks for the church restoration.
See (S3).
E. Rose (NLA), 29 November 2005.

Site shown on 1841 Tithe map and owner James Lindford is listed as a brickmaker in White's Directory 1845 (S4)
NIAS records (S2)
W. Arnold (HES) 06/12/2010

Monument Types

  • BRICKWORKS (19th Century - 1841 AD? to 1900 AD?)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Fiche: Exists.
<S1>Map: Ordnance Survey. 1953. Ordnance Survey 6 inch map.
<S2>Archive: NIAS. Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society Records.
<S3>Article in Serial: Meakin, A.. 2005. The Mystery of the Martham Flint Houses.. Yarmouth Archaeology. p 60.
<S4>Directory: White, W.. 1845. White's History, Gazetteer and Directory of Norfolk.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service