|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of post medieval brickworks|
This is the site of a post medieval brickworks that belonged to William Bracey. Brickearth was taken from here to Bracey's other brickyard (NHER 14964). The footings of brick kilns survive on the site.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 4626 1808|
|Parish:||MARTHAM, GREAT YARMOUTH, NORFOLK|
Site of brickworks.
Footings of kilns remain.
Information from (S1).
E. Rose (NAU) 30 October 1980.
(S2) states this pit belonged to William Bracey; carts would ferry brickearth from here to his yard by the river (site NHER 14964) and estuarine clay the other way.
E. Rose (NLA), 26 April 2000.
25in O.S. marks Brickworks and Kiln (S3)
NIAS records (S1)
W. Arnold (HES) 06/12/2010
- BRICKWORKS (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|<S1>||Archive: NIAS. Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society Records. |
|<S2>||Monograph: Williamson, T.. 1997. The Norfolk Broads: A Landscape History.. p 147. |
|<S3>||Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-7. Ordnance Survey 25 inch 2nd edition (revised 1902-7). |
|14964||Related to: Possible site of post medieval brickyard (Monument)|
Find out more...