|Type of record:||Find Spot|
|Name:||Prehistoric and Late Saxon to post-medieval finds|
Fieldwalking in 1980 recovered prehistoric flint flakes, Saxon, medieval and post medieval pottery fragments and a possible kiln brick fragment. Metal-detecting in 2017 and 2018 recovered a medieval seal matrix and a post-medieval clapper bell fragment.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TM 2286 9319|
|Parish:||MORNINGTHORPE, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
1980. Fieldwalking. Southeast of Fritton church. .
Field was divided into three north to south strips numbered A. to C. From east to west.
A. Three flint flakes.
Much medieval pottery including one rim.
Late medieval/Transitional including one rim.
Lead glazed earthenware and German stoneware.
Tiny glazed kiln? brick fragment.
B. Flint flake.
Five Thetford type rims and base.
Two medieval rims and other sherds.
Lead glazed earthenware.
Westerwald and Derbyshire stoneware.
C.Two flint flakes.
Four Thetford type rims.
Medieval and late medieval/Transitional and post medieval sherds.
Identified by W. Milligan (NCM), September 1980.
February-March 2017. Metal-detecting. .
Post-medieval clapper bell fragment.
Information from PAS import.
E. McDonald (HES), 4 May 2017.
- FINDSPOT (Undated)
- FINDSPOT (Lower Palaeolithic to 19th Century - 1000000 BC to 1900 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Prehistoric - 1000000 BC to 42 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- KILN FURNITURE (Undated)
- FLAKE (Lower Palaeolithic to Late Iron Age - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- POT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- SEAL MATRIX (Medieval - 1200 AD to 1300 AD)
- POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- BELL (16th Century to 18th Century - 1550 AD to 1800 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
Related records - none
Find out more...