Record Details

NHER Number:16380
Type of record:Monument
Name:Site of post medieval brickworks


The site of a brickyard, marked on maps of 1826 and 1836. The foundations of buildings were recorded in 1995 during the construction of a dyke, but these have now gone.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 4613 0442
Map Sheet:TG40SE

Full description

Site of brick yard.
Marked on (S1), 1836. Presumed origin of name Tile Kiln Reach to southeast.
E. Rose (NAU), 24 July 1980.

16 November 1995. Watching Brief.
Monitoring of construction of new soke dyke by National Rivers Authority on site of brickyard.
Foundations of three or more structures observed:
Structure 1: circular; possibly wind pump or mill base, of coarse gravel.
Structure 2: rectilinear; 25m plus in length, series of brick footings.
Structure 3: fragmentary remains of brick floor.
Structures removed by dyke construction.
See report (S2) for further details. The results of this work are also summarised in (S3).
M.Flitcroft (NAU), December 1995.

Brick kilns also marked here by (S4) in 1826.
E. Rose (NLA), 7 June 2002.

Monument Types

  • BRICK KILN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • BRICKWORKS (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • WIND PUMP (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • BRICK (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • TILE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status


Sources and further reading

---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1995. Memory of life on the marshes. 23 December.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Publication: Hutchinson, S.. 2003. Berney Arms Remembered.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Slide: Various. Slide.
<S1>Map: Ordnance Survey. 1824-1836. Ordnance Survey First Edition 1 inch..
<S2>Unpublished Contractor Report: Flitcroft, M. 1995. Report on a Watching Brief at Ashtree Farm, Reedham, Norfolk. Norfolk Archaeological Unit. 155.
<S3>Article in Serial: Gurney, D. (ed.). 1996. Excavations and Surveys in Norfolk 1995. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLII Pt III pp 397-412. p 407.
<S4>Map: Bryant, A.. 1826. Bryant's Map of Norfolk.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service