Record Details

NHER Number:16366
Type of record:Building
Name:Scarning Dale


A 17th century two storey timber framed house on the lobby entrance plan. It was much remodelled in 1900 when a half timbered and jettied cross wing was added incorporating antique woodwork from elsewhere. Finds of medieval monastic masonry were made in 1995 in a nearby 19th century barn, probably originating from Wendling priory.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TF 9440 1261
Map Sheet:TF91SW

Full description

Despite local attributions to 1509 and a monastic origin, building seems to be a straightforward 17th century three cell house with lobby entrance. Later additions. Much remodelled 1900 when antique woodwork from elsewhere built in.

Finds of monastic masonry in 19th century barn, probably from Wendling priory.
See report (S1), Photographs (S2) and press cuttings (S3) in file. Listed (S4).
E. Rose (NLA), 10 August 1995.

Monument Types

  • HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • TIMBER FRAMED BUILDING (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • TIMBER FRAMED BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Newspaper Article: The Times. 1971. [unknown].
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 631.
---Photograph: Photographs of Scarning Dale, Scarning. Black & white.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Unpublished Document: Rose, E. (NLA). 1995. Building Report.. Building Report.
<S2>Photograph: HES 1-12.
<S3>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1988-1989. [Sale advertisements for Scarning Dale].
<S4>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1342578.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2023 Norfolk Historic Environment Service