|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of medieval cross|
The site of a medieval cross, mentioned in a document dating from 1454.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 986 217|
|Parish:||NORTH ELMHAM, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
Approximate site at east end of Hall Farm (road fork before enclosures).
Site of Stump Cross, mentioned in 1454.
The name indicates this was indeed the base of a wayside cross.
Informant  also gives several other cross names in the parish which he believes were wayside crosses erected to guide travellers to Walsingham.
However, there seems no evidence that these were other than cross-road names.
E. Rose (NAU), 17 July 1980.
- CROSS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|<S1>||Monograph: Yaxley, D.. 1980. North Elmham.. East Anglian Archaeology. Vol 9. p 529. |
Related records - none
Find out more...