Record Details

NHER Number:16283
Type of record:Building
Name:The Shettles, Holt Road

Summary

This house is of three sections, the earliest of which is an open hall dating from the 15th century. An extension was added to the north in the early 17th century, when a cellar was also constructed. A further extension was built in the 18th century.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TF 9849 2106
Map Sheet:TF92SE
Parish:NORTH ELMHAM, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK

Full description

July 1980 and November 1995. Site visits.
The building stands in the centre of the present village in its own grounds to the west of the north-south road. Before the 18th century, however, its position seems to have been on the edge of Pyrles Green, which divided the village into the two hamlets of High Street and Low Street, Shettles being in High Green. The south boundary of the grounds marks the line of a medieval road known as Wayngate.
This is a complex building, aligned roughly north-south, and is of three sections, demarcated by roof height. The southern end appears to be the oldest part. (S1) suggests that this and the central section are both of late 16th century date, and also notes that the building cannot be linked to any of the 16th century probate descriptions for the village. The southern section clearly comprises a single timber-framed unit, but has an unusual plan with a crownpost truss off-centre to the north. Stephen Heywood (NCC) suggests that the original hall house, of which this is a part, originally extended further north but was truncated when the central section of the house was constructed. The crownpost suggests this part of the structure is an open hall of 15th century date, with an upper floor inserted at a later date.
The central section of the building is more straightforward. The brickwork, ovolo-moulded doorframes and windows date this part of the structure to the early 17th century. The older section (to the south) was underbuilt, and a cellar added at around the same time.
The northern block dates from before 1780 as the skintlings show. Reused beams thought to date from around 1500 support the first floor in this part of the building. It is unclear where these came from or when they were inserted.
In the 19th century substantial alterations took place and the building was at one time subdivided into cottages. The building has suffered from fire damage twice during the 20th century, and significant restoration work has taken place.
A medieval head corbel seen in the garden in 1980 had gone by 1995.
See report (S2) in file.
Listed (S3).
E. Rose (NLA), 2 November 1995.

Monument Types

  • FINDSPOT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • HALL HOUSE (14th Century to 21st Century - 1400 AD to 2100 AD)
  • HOUSE (14th Century to 21st Century - 1400 AD to 2100 AD)
  • OPEN HALL HOUSE (14th Century to 21st Century - 1400 AD to 2100 AD)
  • TIMBER FRAMED BUILDING (14th Century to 21st Century - 1400 AD to 2100 AD)
  • FARMHOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD? to 1900 AD?)
  • CELLAR (16th Century to 21st Century - 1600 AD to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds

  • ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 571.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Monograph: Yaxley, D.. 1980. North Elmham.. East Anglian Archaeology. Vol 9.
<S2>Unpublished Document: Rose, E. (NLA). 1995. Building Report.. Building Report.
<S3>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1170168.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2022 Norfolk Historic Environment Service