Record Details

NHER Number:16139
Type of record:Building
Name:17 and 18 Market Place


No 18, the front façade of which faces onto the Market Place, was dated as early 19th century when listed in 1977. However, an architect's report produced the following year suggested that the adjoining perpendicular building to the rear (No 17) might actually be a medieval timber-framed building. Its chimney stack had been inserted in the 16th century and an upper floor in the 17th century. The façade was regarded as representing a refacing in about 1800. This early building had been altered and partly destroyed when No 18 was constructed in the 19th century.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 0234 0211
Map Sheet:TG00SW

Full description

Nos 17 and 18 Market Place. Previously discussion of No 17 was split between this record and that for Nos 15 and 16 Market Place (NHER 14260).

January 1977. Listed, Grade II.
Listing Description excerpt:
"Bank. Early 19th century. Red brick. Pantile hipped roof. Small paired brackets to eaves cornice. Two storey. First floor three sashes with glazing bars. Ground floor Victorian shop front with three cambered head pilastered windows at centre and round-headed doorway either side with semi-circular fanlight and moulded cornice over whole, doors modern. Group value only."
Information from (S1).
Please consult the National Heritage List for England (S1) for the current listing details.
P. Watkins (HES), 20 February 2022.

November 1978. Building Survey.
Architect's report (S2) in file suggests a medieval timber-framed building, with stack inserted 16th century and upper floor 17th century, refaced in about 1800.
Compiled by E. Rose (NAU), 23 May 1980. Information from record card (S3).
Amended by P. Watkins (HES), 20 February 2022.

August 1998. Building Survey.
No 17 examined by E. Rose (NLA).
Timber framed hall house with inserted stack and upper floor. Probably late medieval with 17th century insertions. Altered and partly destroyed in the 19th century when No. 18 was constructed.
For see (S4) in file for full report on No 17.
Previously recorded under NHER 14260.
E. Rose (NLA), 26 August 1998.

October 2011. Planning Application.
Move internal doorway from original proposed position to where it once existed.
See (S5).
Z. Dack (HES), 2 November 2011.

Monument Types

  • HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • TIMBER FRAMED BUILDING (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Designation: Historic England. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1372857.
<S2>Unpublished Document: Rossi, A.P.. 1978. Listed Building Report. Building Report.
<S3>Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
<S4>Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 1998. Building Report.. Building Report.
<S5>Unpublished Document: 2011. Planning Application.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service