Record Details

NHER Number:15890
Type of record:Building
Name:Post medieval brickworks


An early 19th century brickworks, built at about the same time as the North Walsham and Dilham canal, and in fact sitting at the head of a branch of it. It was almost certainly situated with the transport of its produce in mind, and was probably run as part of the Dilham Hall estate. After the site ceased making bricks it was occupied variously by blacksmiths, wheelwrights, and possibly an undertaker.
The buildings were still standing but in a state of disrepair when inspected in 1996. However, it is thought that they may have been either renovated or converted to residential use.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 330 256
Map Sheet:TG32NW

Full description

Site of a large group of brick kilns at the head of a branch of the North Walsham and Dilham canal, marked on (S1).
Now marked as 'smithy' on 1953 6 inch Ordnance Survey map.
E. Rose (NAU), 12 March 1980.

4 February 1981. Visited.
Row of vaguely Gothick cottages, now empty, in red brick. Several red brick buildings, and open drying sheds. No sign of kiln but one of the buildings may have been converted from it. Still known as the Brickgrounds. Canal giving access to the site is dry from the road bridge into the works.
E. Rose (NAU), 4 February 1981.

Publication in (S2). Kiln does remain but has been converted to other uses. Wheelwrights shop and saw pit also on site. Yard was in existence in 1826 and as canal was opened 1825 it would seem the two were built together.
E. Rose (NLA) 9 January 1998.

(S3) (1996) in file.

See also NIAS records (S4)
W. Arnold (HES) 06/12/2010

Monument Types

  • BRICK KILN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • BRICK KILN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • BRICKWORKS (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • CANAL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • SAW PIT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • WHEELWRIGHTS WORKSHOP (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Map: Ordnance Survey. 1824-1836. Ordnance Survey First Edition 1 inch..
<S2>Article in Serial: Manning, M.. 1997. Dilham Brickyard.. NIAS Journal. Vol 6, No 2.
<S3>Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans.
<S4>Archive: NIAS. Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society Records.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service