Record Details

NHER Number:15853
Type of record:Monument
Name:Site of post medieval bone mill


The site of a bone mill, marked on a map of 1836. It was powered by water from the canal. The mill was reportedly destroyed by fire in the 1950s, and a 1978 aerial photograph shows that the building has gone and the canal has been infilled.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 267 323
Map Sheet:TG23SE

Full description

'Mills' marked on the 1953 6 inch Ordnance Survey map.
(S1), 1836 shows these as bone mills worked by water from the canal.
E. Rose (NAU), 6 March 1980.

12 September 1978.
NAU air photograph shows totally destroyed, canal infilled.
E. Rose (NAU), 7 May 1981.

According to University of East Anglia farm survey of site NHER 29968 these mills were deliberately burnt down in the 1950s.
E. Rose (NAU), 23 August 1993.

Monument Types

  • CANAL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • MILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • SITE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status


Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TG 2632A,B.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
<S1>Map: Ordnance Survey. 1824-1836. Ordnance Survey First Edition 1 inch..

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service