Record Details

NHER Number:15781
Type of record:Building
Name:Nos 29 and 31 Damgate Street


Nos 29 and 31 are a timber-framed and jettied house. It is thought to have been a guildhall, but the date of construction is debated, and may be 1512, 1530 or 1580. It was rebuilt in the early 17th century, and contains a very ornate parlour cell. The north end and service cell were destroyed by fire in the 18th century, and it was subdivided around 1800 until restoration in 1980.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 1090 0140
Map Sheet:TG10SW

Full description

December 1950. Listed, Grade II.

February 1980. Field Observation.
29 Damgate Street visited by E. Rose (NAU).
16th-/17th-century timber-framed jettied two-storey house, plastered over. High roof, central chimney.
Compiled by E. Rose (NAU), 13 February 1980. Information from record card (S1).
P. Watkins (HES), 20 March 2022.

1987. Building Survey.
Examined by Wymondham Society.
Traces of original windows and carved beams - photographs of latter suggest early 17th-century date, but late 16th not impossible.
See detailed survey in file.
Compiled by E. Rose (NAU), 13 February 1980. Information from record card (S1).
P. Watkins (HES), 20 March 2022.

Lisiting Description of 1994 dates to 1530 but "…so altered early 17th century as to constitute a rebuilding…"
E. Rose (NLA).

However (S2) suggests this is the former guildhall of All Saints which was rebuilt in 1512, when it is suggested the chimney was inserted. The Wymondham Society report is not detailed enough to make any conclusive judgement but what is shown there would seem to suggest a later date than 1512.
Compiled by E. Rose (NLA), 8 April 1997. Information from (S3).
P. Watkins (HES), 20 March 2022.

November 1998. Building Survey.
Examined by E. Rose (NLA).
Timber framed jettied house. Stated by (S2) to be a guildhall of 1512 and in Listing as of 1530 rebuilt early 17th century, the details rather suggest that it is of around 1580. Very ornate parlour cell; hall marked remarkably spartan and crude - north end, and service cell, destroyed by fire probably in 18th century. Possibility of guild use of large first floor room. Subdivided around 1800, restored 1980s.
See report (S5) in file for further details.
E. Rose (NLA), 13 November 1998. Amended by P. Watkins (HES), 20 March 2022.

Excerpt of current Listing Description:
"Two houses, now one. c.1530, so altered early 17th century as to constitute a rebuilding. Plastered and colourwashed timber frame. Pantile roof. Two storeys with attic. Two central 18th-century panelled doors, that to north blocked...Deeply jettied first floor...Gabled roof with central ridge stack rebuilt 1987. To right is a timber-framed two-storey carriageway extension with a gabled roof. Carriage entrance is square. Rear with a brick outshut of c.1820.
INTERIOR. Both ground-floor rooms heated, the fireplaces with plain bressumers. North room with plain bridging beams and joists, south room with sunk quadrant bridging beam and wall plate. First-floor south wall with six-light diamond-mullioned timber window with 3 King mullions and transom. Wall plate above it with sunk quadrant mouldings. Rear wall with a former five-light diamond mullioned window, now without mullions. Jowled principal studs with straight braces. Roof of diminished principals, clasped purlins and collars."
Information from (S6).
Please consult the National Heritage List for England (S6) for the full listing details.
P. Watkins (HES), 20 March 2022.

Monument Types

  • GUILDHALL? (16th Century to 21st Century - 1512 AD? to 2100 AD)
  • HOUSE (16th Century to 21st Century - 1512 AD? to 2100 AD)
  • TIMBER FRAMED BUILDING (16th Century to 21st Century - 1512 AD? to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, B. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 804.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
<S2>Article in Serial: Barnhall, K. 1996. The Religious Guilds of Wymondham, c 1470-1550. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLII Pt III pp 321-331.
<S3>Recording Form: Norfolk Museum Service and Norfolk Historic Environment Service Staff. 1974?-2016. Data Transfer Forms. Norfolk County Council.
<S4>Unpublished Document: Survey by Wymondham Society.
<S5>Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 1998. Building Report.. Building Report.
<S6>Designation: Historic England. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1218073.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service