Record Details

NHER Number:15772
Type of record:Building
Name:No 3 Bridewell Street


No 3 is thought to have been built shortly after the fire of 1615, and may be designed on a similar plan to a previous house. This timber-framed building has a jettied first floor and and a 17th century doorway surviving at the front. A millstone and a number of objects possibly associated with witchcraft activity were discovered behind a fireplace.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 111 014
Map Sheet:TG10SW

Full description

December 1950. Listed, Grade II.

February 1980. Field Observation.
Visited by E. Rose (NAU).
Two storey, four bay house, jettied, plastered. Original carved doorframe with blocked three light mullioned window over door. Stepped brick gable to east. Large window on left of doorway. No imitation timbering as described on Listing. Early 17th century.
Compiled by E. Rose (NAU), 13 February 1980. Information from record card (S1).

Cast iron fireplace removed to reveal older fireplace.
Within infill of latter was found a small millstone with attachments for iron fittings; a fragment of medieval stone tracery with groove for glazing; leather offcuts and wooden pegs of round and triangular section, dyed red. Information from owner. The millstone sounds like one of the late post medieval stones common in Norfolk and supposedly used for animal feed. The tracery one presumes came from the abbey. But do the pegs indicate a ritual deposit of the type intended to keep evil from coming down the chimney, or is it simply chance rubbish swept into the hole?
Compiled by E. Rose (NLA), 25 June 1992.

1994 revised listing (S2) confirms date and states that the shop window is also original behind 19th century glazing. Plan was originally a shop to street, and jettied hall with room above in rear wing approached by passage bypassing shop. Expanded principal studs and straight corner braces. Winding stairs by stacks in both ranges. Spine beams with sunk quadrant mouldings and tongue stops; chamfered spine to rear wing.
E. Rose (NLA), 3 May 1994.

Monument Types

  • HOUSE (17th Century to 21st Century - 1615 AD? to 2100 AD)
  • TIMBER FRAMED HOUSE (17th Century to 21st Century - 1615 AD? to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds

  • ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • CEREMONIAL OBJECT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • MILLSTONE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, B. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. pp 804-805.
<S1>Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
<S2>Designation: Historic England. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1208454.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service